The savory sweetness of this soup is delicious served warm or cool. It’s a great way to add more bone broth to your diet without feeling like you’re having another cup of bone broth. Feels gourmet. Simple to make. Lovely to taste.
Pear and Apple Soup Ingredients
- 1/2 lb diced bacon for garnishing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into rounds
- 5 pears peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 2 apples peeled (not granny smith), cored, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream
- Shredded Pecorino cheese for garnishing
- Chopped chives or green onion tops for garnishing
- Salt and white pepper to taste – Where to find good quality sea salt
Pear and Apple Soup Method
- Sautee the bacon in your stock pot. Remove the bacon when crisp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour off most of the bacon fat so that what is left just covers the bottom of the pot. Add onion, cover pot and cook on low for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- To the onions, add honey, cauliflower and carrot. Cover and cook on medium heat for another 10 minutes.
- Add the apple, pear, thyme, allspice and nutmeg. Cook while stirring frequently for 7 minutes
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook covered, until cauliflower, apples and pears are are tender.
- Use immersion blender (I like this one) or blender to process soup to smooth consistency. Stir in the cream, salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve with the bacon bits and optional pecorino cheese and chives sprinkled on top.
Active Time: 25 minutes
“Pear and Apple Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.