Today I’m sharing these fun pumpkin whoopie pies with maple cream cheese frosting – a grown-up version of my favorite childhood baked good. As you may know, my baking skills are less than expert, so luckily this recipe is super easy and pretty fail-proof.
The whoopie pie (also know as a ‘gob’) is a Pennsylvania Dutch classic, typically made with two chocolate, cakey cookies sandwiching sweet creamy vanilla frosting. YUM.
These pumpkin whoopie pies do not lack in yumminess, but the white flour is replaced with healthier sprouted flour; pumpkin and spices give them a fun twist; and the frosting, rather than being ultra-sweet with powdered sugar, is tangy from the cream cheese and lightly sweetened with maple syrup.
If your sweet tooth craves more sugar, you could certainly roll the exposed frosting of the gobs in a bit of muscodavo – but honestly I think they’re perfect as is. And in case you need a second and third vote of confidence, my two small humans happily gobble these pumpkin whoopie pies like there’s no tomorrow.
I can’t think of gobs without thinking of my Aunt Susie, so this one goes out to her – S.W.A.K.!
Pumpkin whoopie pie ingredients
For the pumpkin cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted flour – Get sprouted flour here
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt – this is my favorite sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 T. cinnamon – buy spices here
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger – buy spices here
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves – buy spices here
- 1 cup firmly muscodavo sugar – find it here
- 1/2 cup butter, from grass fed cows, softened
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree – bake your own, or buy organic pumpkin in BPA-free cans
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the maple cream cheese filling
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
- 8 T. butter, from grass fed cows
- 1/4 cup maple syrup – this is the maple syrup I use
Pumpkin whoopie pie method
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine sprouted flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a large bowl.
- Using a standing or hand-held mixer, cream muscodavo and butter. Add pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture slowly until just combined.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat. Drop scoops of dough (about 2 T. each) onto prepared baking sheets. Transfer to oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire cooling rack to cool completely before assembling with filling.
- While cookies cool, prepare the filling. Cream together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Gradually add maple syrup and beat until well-combined and fluffy.
- Assemble whoopie pies by spreading a very generous layer of filling on one cookie and sandwiching with another cookie, pressing down slightly to allow filling to ooze to the edges.
Want more yummy comfort in your life?
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal, but even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!