Today I’m sharing one of my favorite simple dinner recipes: spaghetti squash Alfredo. This is not your typical Alfredo sauce made with parmesan and butter (and sometimes cream). My version also includes homemade yogurt cream cheese, which adds a delightful tang that makes this dish positively addictive. So much so, that I’ve been known to eat it for breakfast.
Homemade yogurt cream cheese is super simple to make and – unlike its store-bought cousins – is free of nasty thickeners and stabilizers. In a bind you could certainly use organic, store-bought cream cheese for equally delicious (if slightly less wholesome) results.
I love using spaghetti squash as a fresh and light, grain-free alternative to pasta, making this comfort food your tummy will love too.
Supplies for yogurt cream cheese
- 1 quart full fat yogurt – store-bought or make easy countertop yogurt with this recipe
- 1 flour sack kitchen towel (clean and dry)
- 2 strong rubber bands
- 1 large bowl
How to make yogurt cream cheese
- Line bowl with towel. Pour yogurt into towel-lined bowl. Gather corners of towel and secure using rubber bands.
- Hang pouch from kitchen cabinet handle over bowl to catch dripping whey. Allow to drain for about 12 hours or until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a large spoon, gently scoop and scrape cream cheese from draining towel into a glass container to serve and store. Add sea salt to your taste.
- Reserve whey in refrigerator for later use.
Spaghetti squash alfredo ingredients
- 1 spaghetti squash (apx. 1 pound)
- 8 oz. yogurt cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cream, preferably from grass-fed cows
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup butter, preferably from grass-fed cows
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Red chili flakes (optional)
Spaghetti squash alfredo method
- In a shallow, non-reactive baking dish, roast the squash at 375F for 30-45 minutes or until squash is soft when punctured with a fork. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Gently scoop out “spaghetti” flesh and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Grate parmesan. Add cream cheese and Parmesan to butter, stirring until melted. Remove from heat, and add cream.
- Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients until smooth.
- In a skillet, combine spaghetti squash and Alfredo sauce. Warm over low heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with chili flakes on the side.