Today I’m sharing one of my favorite simple dinner recipes: spaghetti squash Alfredo. This is not your typical Alfredo sauce made with parmesan and butter (and sometimes cream). My version also includes homemade yogurt cream cheese, which adds a delightful tang that makes this dish positively addictive. So much so, that I’ve been known to eat it for breakfast.
Homemade yogurt cream cheese is super simple to make and – unlike its store-bought cousins – is free of nasty thickeners and stabilizers. In a bind you could certainly use organic, store-bought cream cheese for equally delicious (if slightly less wholesome) results.
I love using spaghetti squash as a fresh and light, grain-free alternative to pasta, making this comfort food your tummy will love too.
Supplies for yogurt cream cheese
- 1 quart full fat yogurt – store-bought or make easy countertop yogurt with this recipe
- 1 flour sack kitchen towel (clean and dry)
- 2 strong rubber bands
- 1 large bowl
How to make yogurt cream cheese
- Line bowl with towel. Pour yogurt into towel-lined bowl. Gather corners of towel and secure using rubber bands.
- Hang pouch from kitchen cabinet handle over bowl to catch dripping whey. Allow to drain for about 12 hours or until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a large spoon, gently scoop and scrape cream cheese from draining towel into a glass container to serve and store. Add sea salt to your taste.
- Reserve whey in refrigerator for later use.
Spaghetti squash alfredo ingredients
- 1 spaghetti squash (apx. 1 pound)
- 8 oz. yogurt cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cream, preferably from grass-fed cows
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup butter, preferably from grass-fed cows
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Red chili flakes (optional)
Spaghetti squash alfredo method
- In a shallow, non-reactive baking dish, roast the squash at 375F for 30-45 minutes or until squash is soft when punctured with a fork. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Gently scoop out “spaghetti” flesh and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Grate parmesan. Add cream cheese and Parmesan to butter, stirring until melted. Remove from heat, and add cream.
- Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients until smooth.
- In a skillet, combine spaghetti squash and Alfredo sauce. Warm over low heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with chili flakes on the side.
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!