My family eats A LOT of eggs. Sometimes, I just can’t face another scrambled, boiled, or fried egg, but I still want a savory hot breakfast and a nutrient dense start to my day. On mornings like that, a simple mug of soup fits the bill.
I know it’s unconventional, but I like soup for breakfast.
My favorite breakfast soup though is a simple recipe combining homemade broth, eggs, and a touch of Asian flavors that can turn any naysayer into a soup-for-breakfast convert.
Inspired by this easy egg drop soup from Mommypotamus, this soup is hand-blended into a uniform creamy consistency and contains a few less ingredients. I like to use unpasteurized fish sauce (this one is AMAZING) and a dash of sesame oil, but it’s also yummy with a clove of minced garlic and a squeeze of lemon – like the broth for Greek lemon-chicken soup.
The broth, made ahead of time using the chicken bones, will infuse your body with minerals, gelatin, and other essential nutrition, while going gentle on your digestion first thing in the morning. The extra yolky eggs provide a nice blend of fat and protein for a steady fuel to get your through your morning.
Soup for breakfast ingredients
- 1 quart homemade chicken broth – Learn how to make chicken broth here
- 2 whole eggs – preferably from pasture-raised hens
- 2 egg yolks – preferably from pasture-raised hens
- chives for garnish, optional
- 1-2 T. fish sauce – get the best fish sauce here
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
…or swap the last two ingredients with:
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- juice of one lemon, fresh
Soup for breakfast method
- Heat broth in a saucepan to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs and extra yolks.
- Using a ladle or measuring cup, slowing pour the broth into the eggs, whisking the entire time until combined.
- Stir in your seasonings of choice and pour into a mug to serve.
*If you accidentally congeal the eggs when reheating this soup, never fear! Use an immersion blender to smooth it back into its creamy glory.
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 people
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!