In the little town where I grew up, we had an old-school corner store called Krex’s (“Krex-zies”) that sold all of the typical stuff – magazines, cigarettes, and lots and lots of candy.
I have a visceral memory of that little shop, especially when I think of the glass counter filled with Swedish fish, pop rocks, dots, sours, and all of the gummies you could ever imagine.
These days a tobacco shop has replaced Krex’s, and I don’t get even a little excited by a candy store, but I DO get excited by real food makeovers of nostalgic comfort foods.
You’ll find this site rich with recipe makeovers including nachos, whoopie pies, chocolate chip cookies, pizza, and even french fries with gravy. I’m thrilled to add strawberry cream gummies to my collection of bad food made better.
This recipe comes from The Gelatin Secret, a brand new ebook by my friend Sylvie at Hollywood Homestead – but more about that later…
So what’s so special about these strawberry cream gummies?
Well, unlike the store bought version packed with processed sugar, artificial colors and flavors extracted from petroleum sources, and nasty preservatives, these little sweeties are pretty much a super food.
Sylvie has crafted these gummies with real strawberries and fresh lemon juice and coconut milk that provides essential fat. They’re sweetened with mineral-rich maple syrup and raw honey that provides enzymes and probiotic goodness.
And let’s not forget the gelatin.
Though it has gotten the reputation among vegetarians as being an icky-yucky substance made from animal hooves, when it comes from healthy, properly-raised animals, gelatin is a wonderfully nutritious and versatile ingredient.
Gelatin is made when the collagen from skin and bones of animals is melted down, making the proteins soluble in hot water. The presence of gelatin is why a good bone broth or homemade soup will gel when chilled, why Jell-o jiggles, and why gummies are such chewy fun.
From a health perspective, gelatin helps to strengthen bones, teeth, and cartilage. It improves digestive and immune health. It can even make you prettier – no joke.
To learn more about all the magic qualities of gelatin, you’ve got to check out The Gelatin Secret, but in the meantime, try these strawberry cream gummies – delicious, nutritious retro-fun.
Strawberry cream gummies ingredients
- 1 can (13.5oz) full-fat coconut milk – this is the coconut milk I use
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- 1/4 cup organic, grade B maple syrup – I subscribe to this maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh squeeze lemon juice
- 13 T. gelatin – order gelatin from grass-fed beef here
- 4 T. raw honey – If you can’t get local, I love this raw honey
- 2 T. pure vanilla extract
- Immersion blender – this is the one I love
- Silicone molds like the awesome Lego ones pictured above or go with classic strawberry shapes
Strawberry cream gummies method
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and honey on low heat in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Stir until warm, but not hot, as it will kill the probiotic quality in the honey.
- Add 7 T. of the gelatin and immediately mix with an immersion blender until smooth and lump free.
- Pour strawberry mixture into molds, but ONLY fill each one halfway (the rest of the space will be filled by the cream).
- Put the strawberry molds in the freezer. For easy transport, place the silicone mold on a cookie sheet.
- Combine the coconut milk, vanilla, and maple syrup in a clean saucepan and warm on low.
- Add 6 T. gelatin and mix immediately with immersion blender.
- Take out the strawberry molds and complete the pouring with the cream portion.
- Put back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bring out and let sit until room temperature. Store for a week at room temperature, refrigerate if they manage to last longer than that. Enjoy!
Healthy strawberry cream gummies are pretty darn awesome, but what’s even better is that these and other gelatin-rich foods can dramatically improve your health. Sylvie and her husband, Eric, both lost over 65 pounds and healed a myriad of health issues using gelatin and other real food solutions.
Here are just a few of the things that gelatin can help to resolve:
- Allergies & food sensitivities
- Joint and mobility pain
- Digestive problems
- Acne and other skin conditions
- Dull and fragile hair, wrinkles, and even stretch marks
- Hormonal imbalances
- Tooth decay
- Weight issues
- Anxiety and fatigue
The Gelatin Secret is a beautiful, meticulously researched ebook, packed with everything you MUST know about gelatin and its powerful ability to transform your health and beauty —naturally. Plus you get all the recipes you could ever need to make gelatin so you can start consuming gelatin with ease.