I often hesitate to post about anything other than fantastic desserts, because it seems as though most readers prefer the fantasy of sweets over dinner ideas. But this simple yet flavorful zucchini spinach salad is too good not to share.
I spent the last four months working on getting healthier and slimming down for summer. Along the way, I found myself in search of satisfying recipes that didn't pack on the pounds. Along with this perfect ceviche and this surprisingly wonderful roasted cabbage, this zucchini spinach salad is one of my favorites.
Simple ingredients often make the best dishes, and this salad is no exception. Zucchini, spinach, and chicken get a bit of zing from fresh mint, green onions, and a touch of parmesan cheese – all lightly dressed with good olive oil and lemon juice. I use leftover roasted chicken, but you could easily grill up some chicken breasts or thighs too.
To finish off this simple meal, serve this summer fruit salad for dessert. YUM without adding inches to my tum.
Zucchini spinach salad ingredients
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil – buy it online
- coarse sea salt, to taste – this is my favorite sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchinis
- 1 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces baby spinach
Zucchini spinach salad method
- Juice the lemon. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice the zucchini, and cut tomatoes in half. Add the zucchini and tomato to the dressing and and toss to coat – allow to marinate while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Mince the green onions, grate the parmesan, and dice the mint.
- Heat the shredded chicken just until warmed through.
- Toss the warm chicken with zucchini mixture. Add spinach, green onions, parmesan cheese, and mint. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.