Perhaps you are on the GAPS diet, eat low carb, or do Paleo. Personally, I just feel better when I don’t eat a lot of grains, beans, and white potatoes – even when the grains and beans are properly prepared through soaking, sprouting, or fermenting. I feel less bloated, less cranky, and even have clearer skin. Problem is, I’m on a budget, and a bowl of rice and beans, a pile of pasta, a hunk of bread, or a big side of potatoes all cost much less than a big plate of meat. My family also eats eggs nearly every day for breakfast, so for the sake of avoiding monotony, I’m not a ‘breakfast for dinner’ kinda gal.
The solution to eating grain-free on a budget to fill your plate with lots of veggies, add a generous helping of fat (for your health and to fill you up), and include conservative amount of protein (to save $). A good frugal dish will provide leftovers for at least 1-2 meals.
So here are ten of my favorite grain free dinners…
…low-carb, comfort dishes – chocked full of nutritious fats, tummy filling veggies, and a smidge of protein – that fit my new frugal budget:
- Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
- Braised cabbage, onions, and kale with Thai coconut curry sauce
- Lotsa onion and greens melt (tuna optional)
- Slow cooked meat with a bunch of veggies (Pork and Sauerkraut is a current favorite, but I just did pork with a nearly discarded pie pumpkin from Halloween – so good.)
- Veggie ‘mac’ and Cheese Casserole – (I use carrots, peas, cauliflower, and onions or whatever is on hand)
- Shepherd’s pie with cauliflower mash crust (Heavy on the veg, throw in some ground liver and/or heart for delicious, hidden nutrition)
- Roast chicken with cauliflower mash, gravy, and greens (leftovers can make 1-2 meals)
- Creamy Veggie Soup with Chicken Stock (from chicken above)
- Veggie quiche with made with cauliflower crust and a green salad
- Spaghetti squash “linguini” with clam sauce (a great way to stretch this nutrient dense food)
Tonight’s dinner? A hybrid of #1 and 2 – braised cabbage in bolognese sauce topped with a bit of cheese and butter. Delish!
What are your favorite grain-free meals that won’t break the bank?